
Conrad still isn't in the door yet, returning home from Richmond. Since I knew that his flight would be delayed, and since I wasn't intending to run tomorrow (need to rest a sore hamstring - no sense overdoing it before the marathon), I decided to take the time to bake a little tonight. This despite getting home from work at almost 7:00.
I found a nice little recipe for a buttermilk fruitcake. My fondness for buttermilk recipes is documented, of course. I also rather like fruitcakes and get miffed at lame Christmas jokes about them. They can be lovely.
This recipe called for prunes and dried apricots. Alas, while I had just enough flour, butter, eggs, and buttermilk on hand (seriously, I went right down to the end of each), I had only dried apricots. Ah well. More of them to replace the prunes, chopped walnuts to replace the chopped pecans, and we were in business.
The recipe calls for over an hour of baking, and that seemed pretty long, but I tested it at the 1:05 mark, and it was still a little underdone. Wow.
In any case, it's out of the oven, out of the pan, and now cooling overnight. I'll send it in with Conrad to his colleagues tomorrow. For now, though, it is suffusing the kitchen with a delightful aroma indeed!
1 comment:
That's the drawback to sending it in with Conrad to his office - I don't know how it looks inside or tastes. Maybe I'll have to get some more ingredients and bake one or two for the office here!
Post a Comment