Wednesday, September 19, 2007

return to cooking (halibut)

Conrad was gone for, what, 10 days? And that's when my dirty little kitchen secret comes out:

I'm lazy.

Really lazy.

Can I toss it together in a bowl and have it ready to eat (from the bowl) in less than 10 minutes? It's dinner!

Can I put it all in one skillet and walk away until I can dish it up? It's dinner.

I think it a very good thing I couldn't find the other camera while Conrad was gone.

So tonight I had to blow the dust off my meager cooking skills and prepare dinner for the two of us. It's not pretty, but we treated it as if it were, setting the table up for the two of us.

Halibut with a coating of seasoned cornmeal, served with red onions soaked for a couple of hours in lime juice. Tasty, though, again, not as neatly plated as I'd like. Watching Top Chef makes me insecure at my own cooking, perhaps. Gah, if Dale goes home tonight, I will be distraught.


I didn't make the dessert. It's a leftover piece of apple pie that CG made for when I was over at her place on Sunday. I have to say, that woman has some way with pastry (oh, and filling, to be sure!). It held up fine for tonight, and I hope she will not mind that I shared it with Conrad when the piece was kind of meant for him.

;-)

3 comments:

cg said...

of course i don't mind!!

and in re my pastry... thanks. and JUST WAIT TIL I GET GOING!! (five points if you can identify the origin of that quote)

:)

the ginger tabby said...

Plated very nicely in my humble opinion! :)

Peter said...

I don't know the quote, CG, but I'll keenly look forward to more pie!