
I think this may count as our first dinner party of 2008. Congratulations us!
:-)
Bryan and John came for dinner tonight.
We hadn't seen them since before the holidays thanks to their cruise through the Hawaiian Islands for Christmas. SO nice to hear about their trip and catch up with the two of them. And, of course, to feed them.I set out some small things to nibble on:
tomatoes, little crostini (store bought, sorry - I wanted to make today relatively easy on us), a couple of cheeses (the hard wedge is the Neals Yard Dairy English Cheshire Appleby and the soft half-round is Langa Bonrus Sheep and Cow's Milk),
a dish of a caramelized cauliflower and shallot puree, and a dish of olives. We opened a bottle of Joie Noble Blend and quickly dove in to conversation.Dinner was a simple affair. I think I've mentioned before how bloody lazy I am, and today was no different. A one-pot main course: a stew of pork and black beans with a sauce made from tomatillos, some poblano, cilantro, and chicken broth. I topped each dish with a bit of sour cream (stirred with lime juice), some shredded jack cheese, and a sprinkle of green onion and radish.

Conrad has a bad habit, I should say, of capturing me when I'm busy in the kitchen, and vain creature that I am, I wish he wouldn't!

Alongside the stew were biscuits.

Biscuits for Bryan - a man from The South. Brave of me. He was very nice about them, and they were fine enough, I think. Not standard biscuits but made using some masa harina.After that came a green salad with a dressing of lime, charred garlic, and oregano.
Conrad had told me that the guys were bringing dessert from the bakery at Cafe Selmarie. Alas, wires got crossed, and I found myself planning dessert on the fly. Keeping with the idea of easy, lazy, comforting foods and Mexican flavours, I sent them into the living room after dinner and whipped up some Mexican Chocolate souffles.

Not too bad an effort, all things considered!
6 comments:
I like the lime theme you had going...mmm...one of my favourite tastes.
I don't believe you cooked any of that, the kitchen is spotless!
Seriously though, I'm a disaster it the kitchen, takes me every pan and utinsel in the place to fry an egg.
Hardly spotless, just less cluttered than usual. Plus Conrad took photos from good angles - you can't see the mise en place bowls scattered on the counter behind me.
:-)
Yum. What a great looking meal!
Oh you Canadians with your strong dollar, mis en place, fancy spelling and camera angles.
Fresh tomatillos, Jeph. Roast them up, then buzz them up. Based on a basic recipe in a Rick Bayless book.
As for the biscuits, they really were biscuits. The masa harina replaced about 1/3 of the flour, so it wasn't much like cornbread at all.
Post a Comment