
Honesty compels me to admit that New Year's Eve is pretty much my least favourite celebration of the year, and if it wasn't for past experience suggesting that ringing in the New Year at Yoshi's would be delightful, I'd otherwise be content to stay home and order in Thai food or sushi.
Nevermind me, I'm a curmudgeon at times. We had a very good time last night, dining with our friend Frank at the bar at Yoshi's. Yoshi had made up a set menu for the revelers, and we enjoyed it greatly.

Kaiseki style appetizer: baked half shell oyster florentine on a bed of spinach with Mornay sauce and domestic sturgeon caviar; sea scallop mousse terrine with crab meat and sauce remoulade; duck liver mousse pâté coated with black truffle. Yes, those are little diced bits of aspic. Yoshi and his team spent much time on the meal, and I fear that details like the aspic get lost on most people. The pâté was a highlight, I should add.

Soup: lobster consommé matsuyake dobin-mushi. Because, of course, I only like the pricey mushrooms. After eating the solids with chopsticks, we consumed the consommé through the spout of the kettle.


Salad: Hawaiian kampachi salad with wasabu microgreens and blood orange vinaigrette.

Entrée: combination of roasted Wagyu beef rib-eye steak with smoked red wine sauce and half lobster with motoyaki sauce. The red wine sauce kills me every time.


Dessert: combination of tres leches, pumpkin crème brûlée, and fresh berries. The cake? Super moist and another high point. A great way to close the meal.

The three of us shared a bottle of the San Simeon Pinot Noir
and otherwise caught up on our holiday travels. We hadn't seen Frank since before Christmas, so we had a present to give him as well.
And then, 2008. We all cheered and hooted and got caught up in the spirit of it.

Once we'd rung in the New Year, we walked home. The snow had abated some but not entirely. Conrad and I were in bed before 1:00, contented.Also, I think this sweater/tie look is kind of cute on me. Ah yes, I start 2008 as vain as ever!
4 comments:
Your tie and shirt are nice, Peter, but I quite like your feathers, too! ;)
ooop...meant to say "tie and sweater" not "tie and shirt"
The feathers did not make it in to work, alas, though the sweater did! No tie, though.
You sipped the broth from the spout of the tea pot? They'd have to give me a much bigger slice of Tres Leches cake to perform that bit of savagery.
Next you'll be telling me they didn't change cutlery between courses or crumb the table.
Get me the smelling salts!
Post a Comment