
The latest post to reach back - yes a few more still to come from Missouri. This time, though, while I'm feeling too lazy to do a big entry and feeling in a food mood from watching episodes of Top Chef, it's a handful of shots from dinner right before Memorial Day weekend. Howard was in town for IML, so he and I (Conrad was out of town) met up for dinner at Frontera Grill.
Ahhh, Frontera. I really love the place - I think I've mentioned that before on the blog. Howard and I met outside the restaurant at 4:30, which left us first in line for the dinner opening.

We were at a table
(along with two of Howard's friends, also in town for IML) by 5:30 and soon enjoying dinner. I wish the photos had all turned out - especially the shot of Jill, the sommelier. Conrad and I sing her praises, and once again she ensured that our dinner was a wonderful experience. The food, mind you, helps!Chiles rellenos. Not on the menu, you have to know to ask for it. And get there early. We shared these an appetizer.

My meal: serrano-marinated mahi mahi, cooked over the coals, in a creamy sauce of wild hedgehog mushrooms and roasted poblano chile. Rustic mashed potatoes and grilled green beans. People will be surprised to know, but the hedgehog mushrooms caught my eye, and it was a winning choice.

On the side: grilled green onions. I shared, no worries.

Jill sent out some dessert wine and a couple of desserts. The fruit soup did not photograph well (sorry, I should say that I did not photograph it well), but the ice cream sandwich did. I'm not doing it justice with that label.

So it was, another fine night at a favourite restaurant. We waddled out contentedly, and I was soon into a cab home.
2 comments:
*I* am not surprised to know. Are they fancy, snooty, gourmet mushrooms? Yes. If there were a velvet rope for mushrooms, would they pass muster? Yes. Are those the only kind you like, eschewing the more plebeian white, portobello (right? i think i remember this), and [shudder] anonymous canned varieties? Um, YES.
:P
Methinks you know me too well!
;-)
Post a Comment