Ah Dale.
We met virtually through mutual friends/colleagues, then met in person when he was in Chicago for a different library conference last year. I have many good things to say about his charm, wit, humour, and handsomeness. He was someone I turned to early in Dad's illness, and he was a good font of information and advice. He listened. If he's reading this, he's blushing by now, surely.Anyway, I was keen to have him over and for Conrad to meet him, and I'm delighted that it was a success all around. We had a good evening of vegetarian food, much wine, and conversation, and we were happy to sort of repeat it a few nights ago over tapas and then dessert and cocktails at a couple of Boystown restaurants.
I also have to say, I love cooking for vegetarians. They challenge me. Dale, in fact, was not too difficult - few dietary restrictions paired with a love for pulses, grains, and cheese. Easy enough.
I got the table set,
some cheeses ready for us to devour when he arrived, and then mugged for Conrad's camera.
I am shameless. And vain: the table was a nice sight, and the cheeses were well-softened by the time Dale showed up.
Up first was gazpacho.
I may be rushing the summer season a little, but I was in a mood for a simple chilled soup. First time making it, and while I might ease off some of the olive oil in the future, I was pleased. What a shame I broke my blender jar, dropping it on the floor while doing my kitchen clean up before Dale came. Darn. Fun to go shop for a new one, but the old one really did work fine.After that, I put out a bowl of a fava bean, leek, and feta puree to go with the remaining bread as well as some radishes and a simple salad.
More wine. Easy meal.Dessert was an old standby, and a tasty one at that: Plum cardamom upside down cake.
really, I should have had more eaters there - it merits a bigger group to polish it off in one go. No matter. I loved the piece I ate and sent the rest in to Conrad's office the next day.I hope that we'll see Dale later in the year when he may have to return to Chicago for business. We'll stock the bar a little differently and attack late autumn/winter vegetables. Should be fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment