Monday, July 27, 2009

happy birthday to ME!

I love it when a restaurant surprises me.

Tonight we celebrated my birthday at Sola, and what a lovely, relaxed meal it was. Better still, there were dishes that exceeded expectations. Best of all, we had service that was ever so friendly and winning.

Let's back up. In case you don't know already, today, the 27th, is my 39th birthday. It's really not a big deal. I've loved getting a ton of FB messages, but despite my joking, I'm NOT anxious about my age. I'm 39. I can live with it.

Conrad has a ticket to Hawaii for me for my gift, so it was somehow appropriate that we opted for 1000 points (and the use of a gift certificate) at Sola, owned.operated by a chef who has a deep connection with that tropical state. We haven't dined there in ages, and even then it was brunch. Time to head back west over to it.

We'd barely ordered cocktails when a summer shower blew through. That drove us inside, but eventually we made it back outside, practically the only people sitting out on a pleasantly warm evening. Conrad had a martini (with Hendryck's - thanks Dale!) and I had Champagne. I HAD to celebrate!

We opted for sharing six appetizers to get a good selection of foods, then dessert, then cheese. We also enjoyed a half bottle of an Oregon Pinot Gris and a half bottle of a California Pinot Noir before a glass each of Pedro Ximenez with the cheese course.

The food started fine with an amuse then a dish of raw kampachi, but it blew us away when the tempura squash blossoms arrived, filled with shellfish and served with a housemade kimchi. Really? Awesome! We were tempted to reorder this very seasonal dish.

The artichoke fritters were fine, as was the tuna poke. It was when the cod with fava bean risotto came out (and the potstickers) that we were jolted again. All of the food was good, but these were the exceptional dishes that made us shake our heads in happy wonder.

Family called throughout dinner. I hadn't talked with Bella since we were up for Dad's funeral, so that was nice.


I ordered Conrad the chocolate dessert, and it was fine, but mine was the third stunner of the evening: a tart of beets and a miso creme fraiche filling. Beets. Miso. Dessert. Good gosh, was that a show-stopper. Not the first time that night we sent compliments back with the wait staff.

The wait staff, I must add, were fun. Truffles with a candle came out, but no singing (THANK YOU!). We got to discuss the food and the wine a bunch, and we really appreciate that. A vital part of an exceptional dinner.

Cheeses were last, the best being the Louisiana cheese (who would've guessed that?) in the middle of the plate.

And now? We're home. Decompressing before bed. But gosh - and big thanks to Conrad - a wonderful meal that prompts us already to find time to go back, preferably with friends.

In short: happy birthday to me! :-)

3 comments:

What was done said...

Happy birthday!
39 can be a great age:
http://www.whatwasdone.com/Age.php?&Age=39

PS.
The food looks tasty.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Peter!

39 isn't so bad!

See you next weekend!

The Beauchamps

Kris said...

Peter, What a delicious way to celebrate your birthday. Yum!