Friday, July 10, 2009

Escanaba in da sunlight

Sorry, bad play on the movie title. And I haven't even seen the infamous movie. I think the fuss over it has died down in any case.

ALA Conference weekend, and I will try to get some things posted from the conference (or, at least, the meals) in days ahead. While Conrad does the dishes from a nice balcony dinner with Martin, the conference roomie, and while Martin irons for tomorrow, I'll go ahead with a few photos from last weekend in the UP.

Conrad's hometown reminds me of my own in some ways. Small, shaky economy based on resources, budget/box stores driving local businesses into ruin. Escanaba has some presence and history, though. One day I'll have to stroll Lake Shore Drive there and photograph the handsome homes overlooking the lakefront park. For now, though, some shots from early morning on Independence Day, when much the town wasn't yet up and was taking the day off anyway.

Oh, and don't laugh about the winery - nice to see the local attempt at growing grapes and making wine, and truly, the rose was a nice accompaniment to our steak that night.











No comments: