Thursday, July 16, 2009

grasses and flowers

As the mood strikes me, I'll jump around in time a little. Some photos from recent days, some a little older. Catching up on the blog in no particular order.

First up is the easiest because it doesn't require much commentary.

We spent the long weekend up in the UP, enjoying sunshine without obnoxiously hot weather. Despite it all, a midday of sitting by the lake at Karen and Terry's property was enough to pinken my forearms. Pinken? Is that a word? A light burn, one that I noticed in the shower the next morning for sure.

Anyway, back to the lake. The water level is higher this year, but there are still plenty of shore front grasses and reeds, hiding places for blackbirds, butterflies, and other things. While sitting there, I took a few shots of some stalks standing sentinel nearby. Beyond them sat a placid Green Bay. No thoughts of swimming in my head, though.



Near the property, by the highway, there are some showy ladyslippers that grow. Every summer we look for them, and when we see them in bloom, we give a sigh of relief that roadside mowing has destroyed them all, not yet. A welcome sight every time.



And look, one of them even had a dainty little yellow spider peeking out. Somehow adorable, and I think I found myself baby talking to it.

No comments: