Thursday, August 06, 2009

big dinner at Jeph's

It's a wonder I haven't gained pounds and pounds and started having to wear big boy pants again. No, really. You scoff? Read on...

Last weekend was our relaxing visit with Jeph and Brett. Relaxing for me and for Conrad, that is. Jeph, on the other hand, went to town on food preparation. Add to that the contributions of his friends he'd invited over, and we had mighty substantial fixings for a dinner on the back lawn for about 16 of us.

I posted a couple of teaser shots the other night. I should add this: the theme was local. We shared the wine we'd purchased earlier that day. Most of the vegetables were from Jeph's garden, and what wasn't came from friends' gardens or local producers. And Jeph, bless him, even butchered his own chickens at a farm in New York - not too far away. Impressive. Hence the tart and salad I blogged a few nights ago in brief. With very minor assistance from me, Jeph put together two of these stunning and delicious squash and leek tarts. I stayed away from his stove and managed a caprese-style salad that we left unadorned with any oils or vinegars.
I also chopped up the veggie mix that Jeph put into a grill pan - I kept going back for more of that mix. Heck, he even had his own little eggplants in it!

What else? Oh the chickens, very tender and well-seasoned.
Brisket he smoked himself. Corn on the cob a friend brought over and shucked (and then she and Jeph argued over who would get the husks for compost!).

As you can see from what Sharon, Jeph, and I set out,

we had plenty. Jeph and I, meanwhile, turned the husbands to the duty of setting up the table (Jeph cut flowers from his garden).
Finally, somewhere around 6 or so, I think, we all got to gather and dine.

Now then, do you see why I worry about my waistline?



More importantly, though, all of this just goes to show how utterly amazing the NBF is in his own right, leaving aside whatever I think of the cute/hot factor of his husband. Jeph put on a remarkable evening for us all, and he deserves much praise and thanks.

2 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Nice set-up with the table outside and the colourful food :)

Peter said...

It was a lovely set up, and TONS of food. We needed 20 more people to help eat! :-)