The first morning we were together in Honolulu, we ventured into the downtown. Quiet on a Saturday morning, the city was a mass of "interesting" high rises, scattered vintage buildings among them. It's hard to get a grasp on the architectural vernacular in the city. Older buildings echo Spanish mission styles, newer ones have a touch of urban brutal about them. Still, there are gems in there, and even the more modern ones at least provoke some discussion of whether they are good or so horrible as to be fascinating.





















I rather like them, I think.
The next day, after walking over to the Made in Hawaii Festival, we continued on past the Capitol to get lunch in Chinatown. It wasn't this latter that really interested us (though lunch certainly was good). The Capitol, frankly, astounds me. I truly love it. So different from the gold (or copper? - I haven't seen enough state capitals) domes of elsewhere. And goodness does the building bludgeon the viewer with symbolism. The sky, the sea, the volcanoes, the palms, the islands. Check out those columns, lean back and look up to the skies above.







I always like strolling through the area.Lastly, we skirted through the tourist-trap (think Fisherman's Wharf) area surrounding the Aloha Tower and ascended to the viewing decks.






Honolulu was spread about us, and it's here that you can see not only the real city (and a glimpse of the tourism that drives it), but also the working port and busy airport. No, it's not as pretty as Waikiki (and believe me, I do like that stretch of beach, stores, hotels, and dining), but it is very real and fascinating all the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment