Wednesday, June 29, 2011

ALA folks, hard at work, fabulous

I had to put that last part of the post title in there given the outfits that certain people were sporting.

;-)

I don't talk much about professional activities or my workplace on this blog. I think I wouldn't write a blog if I had to write about the things I spend several hours a day or more paid to do instead of the things I spend the rest of the time enjoying or daydreaming about. Truthfully, there are others out there who have given librarianship and ALA better thought. Find them, and reflect as you will. Try Lauren, just for starters.

A few people at this conference asked me if Conrad was with me. No, he wasn't, and it's unlikely he will be with me at conferences in the future. No, don't despair: all is more than well between us. No, we simply realized that conference, no matter how much we may like the host city, is not a place for him and me time. It's a place for my time with the librarians I've connected with over the years, and drawing Conrad into that world is not easily done. It's enough, I hope, that I call and text him several times a day and update him in such exhaustive detail that hanging up is surely a welcome relief to him.

I now sit on Council at ALA, this time at the very back in the Social Media Trouble Makers corner, as Aaron put it. While there, I am reading documents, listening to reports, following debate, occasionally venturing to a microphone to contribute, and tweeting and Flickring and FBing and e-mailing all in hopes of pushing some sense of the richness of conference activity out to people who might be interested.

Good people at ALA, and I wish I had photos of more. I have at least some, though, and not just from the Council chambers. Wandering the exhibits, I bumped into others:

Aaron
Kate
Matt and Peter (with me!)
Bobbi, Courtney, Alexia (plus shoes!)

Courtney, again
Dale
Bobbi
Gina
Aaron
the aforementioned Lauren
Nanette (ALA staff - those staffers really do so much for us)
Dale (and TK - yes, lots of time spent hanging out with him this conference)
Jodie and Courtney

And finally, the crew of us trying hard not to see, hear, nor speak evil...

No comments: