Thursday, June 02, 2011

easy dinner

I feel like I'm a real throwback tonight, waaaaay back to the 80s or 90s when fruit salsas with proteins were the rage. We did that often at the restaurant, I can recall. And yet, there's something about it in warmer weather that is really appropriate.

I picked up a bunch of mangoes on the way home tonight, some fish, some other things. The mangoes have been good (and well-priced and plentiful) this season, I'm happy to say. I opted for some harder ones to give me time to figure out what I want to do with them all, but one was ripe enough (though still a bit hard and crispy, still somewhat tart) for me to cut into pieces, mix with red onion and pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper, and lime juice and call it all a salsa. It had zip to it, and if the knife skills were terribly imprecise, it still tasted fine. Some acid to cut against the sockeye and the sweetness of the corn I cooked.



We had this simple dinner in the kitchen - too cool outside to sit, though we hope to have balcony dinners soon! Just a nice, easy dinner together, a good way to return from vacation.

1 comment:

Nonoy said...

Interesting dinner. I wish I can make something like that. I also love corn, but the ingredients you mixed can't be found in the Philippines.

Great blog. Thanks for sharing.