I think it was while I was back west with Conrad last weekend (or perhaps before then, I'm not sure) that I saw a pupuseria. It's been ages since I've had a pupusa. Or two. I've never actually had one in a restaurant, let alone an El Salvadorean one. All I've ever known are what we made in the restaurant back home years ago. And with recent inspiration, I thought I'd try them again. A recipe from Roger Hayot's Dinner at the Authentic Cafe (is that place still in existence? if so, I'd love to get there on a future LA trip) was my guide.
Some shrimp, some roasted poblano, some provolone (no, not Mexican, but it was on hand). A filling! The dough was tasty in and of itself. Garlicky, spicy. No sauce, no beans or whatever may be traditional sides. What are traditional sides? Ah well. I made some red cabbage slaw and some guacamole.
Good to do something a bit out of the ordinary. And now let's hope the leftovers will heat nicely tomorrow for dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment