Monday, October 09, 2023

Yooper cuisine

No trip to Conrad's family is truly complete unless we have ourselves that classic of Yooper cuisine, the pasty.  No, it doesn't originate in the UP, but in Cornwall, in England.  


Beef, carrot, potato, and - of course! - rutabaga fill the tender pastry.  I didn't remember how very large they are, and so Conrad and I shared one between us.

The absolutely necessary side dish?  Old Dutch brand dill pickle flavoured potato chips. 


I remember the first time I had a pasty on a visit to the UP with Conrad, and I was floored that they had a Canadian brand like Old Dutch, and in my favourite flavour.  Conrad quickly disabused me of that notion, that it was a Canadian brand.  It is big in Western Canada, though, so even though it's a US company, it has a lot of operations in place to cover my side of the homeland.  Ah well, no matter where it's based, it's nostalgic for me, and it goes well with the pasty.

So that was our last meal in the UP for this trip:  pasty and chips.  Not the most nutritious dining, but it filled our bellies for the travel ahead!

No comments: