One thing I've noticed in my now eleven years in southern California is that people come to visit. Well, not necessarily to visit me/us, but also that. No, they come to visit SoCal, and we benefit from seeing them. That was not often the case in Chicago and almost never in my two years in Montreal before that.
Bridget is the latest on that list. I've known here for, oh, thirty years, since she lived in Terrace and I was in between degrees and cooking at the restaurant. We reconnected years later when I lived in Chicago and she was in the Milwaukee area. I think I last saw her in about 2012 when she came down to see us and go to see Noel Gallagher in concert with me. She's vacationing in southern California this week, having arrived yesterday, and before heading to Santa Barbara tonight (I'm writing this on Monday night before bed, but I'll publish it on Tuesday), she had dinner with Conrad, Van, and me.
Ah, so good seeing her. Lots of familiar old names came up. And hey, look at us, both well into our 50s and looking it.
We met up at Perle, which I hadn't been to in a while. Good food, as expected, though the gap between the first course and the mains was a little long. I had some oysters to start and then had the choucroute.
Tasty, and it didn't feel too rich or heavy. The four of us split the chocolate souffle
and the tarte tatin for dessert.
A bottle of red wine for the table, a decaf to finish for me, and that was a lovely little Monday night meal.
We showed Bridget the condo after that, then I walked her back to the parkade so she could reclaim her car and hit the road. Safe driving and an enjoyable rest of the vacation to her! I hope we see her again before too long.




No comments:
Post a Comment