Monday, July 08, 2024

recent cooking

Temperatures are getting into the 90s these days, so what do I do?  I cook.  Yep, turn on the oven and everything.  No one ever said I was smart.

I made ribs on Saturday for dinner, and they were ribs, perfectly fine, no photographs.  For dessert, something new:  Rainier cherry clafoutis. 


Kind of a cross between crepes and custard, baked in the oven, studded with fruit.  I've never had one, only heard of it.  So I pitted my cherries I had on hand and made us up dessert.  Verdict?  Hmmm.  I loved the flavour, but I think I weighed down the batter too much.  Not much puff on it in the oven, and a trial getting it out of the pan.  But tasty!

So tasty that yesterday I promised Conrad a simple, oven free dinner, and yet ended up baking another clafoutis, a berry one. 


Plus focaccia. 

And also little turkey meatballs that I tossed with a sauce I made for a pasta dinner.  Oh, and burrata with tomato and nectarine. 

Because I invited Natasha to come over, that was my excuse.  That second clafoutis was better than the first, I think.  I'll try making those again.

Tonight?  Leftover focaccia and another similar burrata salad with prosciutto added this time, and leftover clafoutis.  Barely an oven turned on!

No comments: