Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Unbroken Blossoms


I can actually count on one hand the number of times I have seen live theatre in our eleven years in SoCal.  It's not like we ever really went in Chicago, either.  If we remove improv and comedy sports style shows, then I'm probably at no more than a dozen stage productions of plays and musicals in my adult life.  It's never been my thing.

But there are exceptions to be made.  Our friend Ron had a leading role in a production in DTLA at East West Players,


and by gosh, we were going to show up and enjoy seeing him perform.  And so we did.  Sunday, late afternoon, we had second row seats for Unbroken Blossoms.

I encourage you to read more about the play at that link.  It was illuminating to see what I took to be as a speculative history that centered Asian-American contributions to early Hollywood and the toll it took on some.  It was also a little uncomfortable - and that's fine.  I don't need to be coddled as I am confronted with actors who are inhabiting characters whose racism, micro and macro, was particular to the era and probably not too far off even today.

After the show, there was a Q&A with the cast of Jury Duty, who had shown up to support their friend and castmate, Ron.  We got some pictures outside and chatted with Carrie


and Carrie's mom, and then we scooted off to dinner at Redbird,


not too far a walk away.  A blueberry-themed cocktail for me,

and then we all shared their cheese gougeres (I think that's what they were),

rolls with date butter,

green salad with avocado and bacon, burrata with plums,

and a trio of pastas. 

A lovely meal at a place we don't think to get to enough.

All in all, an excellent outing to DTLA.  Above all, we're really proud of Ron for what he is accomplishing.

No comments: