One of the drawbacks to the LA area is that is not just huge, it's also poorly served by transit. That means that so many of us are relegated to driving places even when we would rather not. Like yesterday, for example. I had dinner plans in West Hollywood. It's a busy area, I don't know the streets well, and I did not want to be circling, hunting for parking. I also knew that I would want a couple of drinks, and I abhor driving under the influence. So it was, then, that I made a mad dash to the Memorial Park station
to catch a train down into LA to Union Station, then had to transfer to what used to be known as the Red Line, then get off in the thick of touristy Hollywood and catch an Uber from a nearby hotel. That all took an hour and a half. I splurged to get Uber home at the end of dinner.
No matter, though, because the company was worth it. Dinner with Denny - yay!! I hadn't seen him in person in far too long. I had to miss dinner with him in Phoenix because of food poisoning or whatever bug kept me ill in the hotel room for 48 hours before the conference started. A shame - we don't see each other at all often enough. We met at Bottega Louie near where he lives - he had to work late that day, and meeting outside of his neighbourhood would have been later and trickier. Next time we'll have him up our way for another meal. Last night, though, it was a shared pizza and salad and a few rounds of Boulevardiers and much great conversation. A real delight to hang out for an evening.


No comments:
Post a Comment