Monday, May 26, 2025

Memorial Day weekend

It's a holiday Monday, Memorial Day in the United States.  I worked remotely on Friday, and now this is the third proper day of the long weekend.  It's been a nice break.  Oh, I'll be back on campus tomorrow afternoon, for sure, but in the meantime, let's check in on what's been going on here this weekend....

Friday!  We wandered over to Maestro, arriving shortly after opening but right behind two other customers who took up seats at the bar.  Add in two more who came along to reserved seats, and it was a crowded (but not uncomfortable) time at the bar.  I tried a new cocktail, a guava paloma that I think was clarified in part or something. 


Tasty!  The three of us shared guacamole,

a beet salad,

the bone marrow esquites,

and a new item:  crispy carnitas tacos. 

I may just like them more than the birria tacos.  Hard to say.  Another nice night at Maestro.  We came home and put on the first episode of the latest season of Stanley Tucci's exploits in Italy, then Van headed home to Olive.

Saturday!  I had had a good walk on Friday, mostly without Conrad, totaling 6.91 miles.  Saturday I went longer, hitting 7.21 miles, including some running and mostly without Conrad again.  That excursion ended at Amara.  Lately I've not been especially hungry in the mornings, and so I kept to an empanada again,


leaving Conrad

to enjoy his regular breakfast.  Oat milk lattes for us both,

and that was a fine start to the day. 

We were over at Van's that night, hosting Mitch and Ted for dinner.  I made us all ribs, and it was a lovely evening if a photo-free one.

Sunday!  Another good walk to start the day, but a shorter one:  6.23 miles.  Some good music on,


a cheery attitude. 

Conrad did his own shorter walk with Olive, and then we relaxed before coming back to the condo late in the morning.  But it was back to Van's late yesterday afternoon for an evening that featured the first mai tais

and the first burgers on the grill of the season. 


It's not been super warm out, just mild, and that was welcome.  Olive got lots of love,


Van showed off his moves

(and a tshirt that I think is kind of a hoot), and we had a lovely, leisurely evening outside.

Today!  I've been waking up early these days, and so it was that on a holiday Monday I was awake and out the door before 6AM.  I put on some lively music


and mixed in even more running with the walking today, which was tiring but welcome,

and ended up at 8.26 miles.  Not terrible!  I finished that off right as Conrad and Olive were heading out the driveway for her morning walk, so I joined them

and did another mile with them.  And now, now I am pooped.  I may need a nap before online drinks later!  We shall see.

A short week ahead.  Let's see what it brings....

No comments: