Thursday, August 14, 2025

August happy hour

Last night was our monthly online happy hour, and we left it up to the soon-to-be groom to pick a theme.  So he went with "extra, not basic", and we did our best.


I made two cocktails for me and Van to sample and gave him the one he preferred.  The light, greenish-yellow one in the photos is The Aphrodisiac.  I took extra down a joking road there, what with Chris' wedding coming up.  Van chose that one.  It was tasty enough, I agree, but unremarkable.  The reddish one took extra in a different sense:  starting from the basic negroni recipe, I revised it and added to it, resulting in a GInger Negroni Spritz.  I liked it fine enough, but I think the ginger could pop out a little more.

For round two, I didn't worry about being too extra.  I actually made a couple of other drinks first, neither of which I liked and poured out after a few sips.  I didn't want to go too boozy because of the Champagne dinner ahead, so that factored in.  I dug up one I hadn't made in a while, the Fino Collins.  Presumably a variation on a Tom Collins, but using fino sherry.  A light drink, which was welcome.


Next month, in honour of Allison, it's Britpop! 

No comments: