Monday, August 31, 2026

pasta with scallops

First off:  fuck.  I write notecards or postcards to friends from time to time, and today I got a response in the mail.  I hadn’t heard from Sandra and Wayne in a while, and there is bad reason.  Wayne wrote back in response to a card letting me know that Sandra had died last year in July.  He had thought he had let me know, and I certainly don’t hold that against him.  Cancer, apparently.  She was 75.  I’d known her over thirty years.  So:  fuck.

Conrad and I both cried a little.  I’m glad we are having an evening in.  I was planning a nice meal, and now it feels a little more needed.  Squid ink pasta, which I’d been eager to use, tossed with some little bay scallops I found at Trader Joe’s.  


A bottle of a New Zealand red Conrad picked up last year from a winery we have visited a few times.  

This was welcome.

Goodbye, Sandra.

No comments: