Tuesday, September 08, 2026

getting to Toronto

Last Friday morning I boarded a flight from LAX to EWR.  Oh, I know, I could have flown direct to the Centre of the Universe, but a) it would have cost more miles, and b) there were more options on Air Canada, which I try to avoid flying.  So disloyal to my home country, I know.  I had originally booked LAX --> DEN --> YYZ, but it meant an ungodly 5AM departure.  Look, I'm a morning person, but come on!  A couple of weeks before the trip I changed my routing, leaving later and going by way of EWR. So, yes, across the continent, but hey, lie-flat seats!


It was an uneventful flight.  I had a tasty enough breakfast aboard


and then a cod cakes "lunch" before landing. 

I dozed, read, listened to music, watched Cougar Town (my new favourite show).  We landed, and I had over an hour in the lounge before the next flight.

A window seat on flight two meant that I was able to see outside as we left Newark



and then, an hour or so later, as we approached and landed in Toronto. 




Ah, Lake America!  I joke.  Fuck that.  Lake Ontario.  Let's be real.

Getting through the airport and to the hotel was relatively smooth and as fast as it could reasonably be.  I made it to my room,


dropped my bags, and headed to the hotel restaurant/bar for a basic dinner, a turkey and avocado BLT. 

The sandwich was a sandwich, but the fries were good.  The bartender, also named Peter, warmed up to me after I explained a Boulevardier

to him and chatted a little.  Dinner done, I came upstairs to unpack and unwind and sip the glass of Baco Noir I'd brought up with me. 

A long day of travel done, and so much to come for the weekend! 

No comments: