Monday, January 01, 2007

no more champagne, and the fireworks are through


(FXK, if you're reading this post, I darn well hope you catch the song reference in that title!)

2007 is now upon us. Forgive me if I'm not enormously excited. It's not that the weather is grey or that it's Monday. It's not exactly that it's just another day in some ways. I simply have never cared for New Year's Eve as a holiday. It's right down there with Hallowe'en. No matter. I'm not a curmudgeon and I wasn't out to kill anyone's night last night, though. And yes, we have food photos.

We spent much of yesterday doing work we'd brought home before stopping in at Francis and Kim's party. They were co-hosting with their neighbours John and Erin, and I have to add in here that Erin had put together a spread of tapas that was truly remarkable. She and John were setting out to fry cheese croquetas as we arrived on the early side. Wow.

Conrad and I stayed almost an hour, and we were quite sorry to leave. We'd made our Yoshi's arrangements quite some time ago and were looking forward to it, but between the good food and the really friendly gathering of people early on, we were having quite a nice time.

Alas, most of the photos were too fuzzy to keep (we're still getting used to the various settings of the new camera), but one shot survived, and I'm glad. Kim greeted us when we arrived, and I thought she looked stunning in this top. Quite an impression to make on the guests, seeing her in the bold and glorious print. Yes, I'm sounding reeeeeeally gay, I know.

Off home for a quick change and then a walk through the gaybourhood to Yoshi's. A lot of people were out last night, of course, and many of them seemed to think that the magic of wearing skimpy party clothes would overcome the fact that it was only a little above freezing. Kids! Gone were the picketers from in front of X/O as well. They had set up an anti-foie gras demonstration. Added some colour to the night, I suppose, but where were all those people and their campaign before the city banned foie gras? I don't recall seeing them any other time, and while they might say that New Year's Eve is a high-visibility night because of the occasion and number of diners, if they aren't willing to be there on a regular Saturday in the middle of a crappy winter storm, I guess they don't care all that much about the animals.

But I do wonder: Were they rotating the protest to all the restaurants in the city that were illicitly serving foie gras? I disagree with the ban, but it is in place, so I do not agree with the illicit service of it.

End of sermonizing. I'm not in a bad mood today, I swear.

:)

Yoshi's. Packed, filled with balloons and music and people. Conrad and I had been given the coveted "Laura and Michael" spots in the corner of the bar, and just as on Christmas Eve, Obed was next to us. We had nice chat with him through the night, as well as with other regulars who came on round. Service was paced nicely so that we were just finished dessert when it was time to ring in the New Year. As for the food:

Kaiseki style appetizer (domestic sturgeon caviar in purple potato, Wagyu beef with white asparagus, king crab leg motoyaki, lobster bisque chawanmushi, miniature sushi).

Shark fin consomme.

Warm vegetable salad of beets, turnips, mushrooms (yes, I ate them!), green and white asparagus, tomato coulis, and truffle oil.

Combination plate (grilled beef tenderloin au poivre and grilled Hawaiian escolar - white tuna - Cajun style with chile guajillo sauce).

Combination of New Year's Dessert 2007 (green tea genoise charlotte with azuki beans and white chocolate mousse, warm chocolate cake, caramel pecan ice cream).

All was good, not a bad bit in there. Favourites bites? The steak, the wasabi used with miniature sushi, the warm chocolate cake, and the ice cream. We had a bottle of Morgon, and Obed shared some champagne with us at midnight. Hats, noisemakers, much cheering ensued.

More chatting with friends and many hugs followed dinner, then we strolled home through the mild night. It was almost 2:00 when we fell into bed - happily not as overindulged as we might have been - and 10:00 when we got up this morning. Half the day is done, and we'll go off in search of ways to fill the rest.

Happy New Year to any who read this blog. I know that Jeph, Brenda, FXK, Dom, and Daniel all do, and others too. It's a lot of food rambling, and that won't change in the year that has just started! But I am glad that y'all check in on things here and let me know about it. I hope your New Year celebrations went well!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and a Happy New Year to you, Conrad and the readership. I had the pleasure of a lovely fondue/raclette party last night. Sorry, no photos. Smooches, djs

the ginger tabby said...

A nice entry, Peter, as always. I esp like the one of you and Conrad, and the food pics are always enjoyable.

For NYE, I went to Peter's place (yep, another Peter!) with Allison and some other friends. He cooked Balinese coconut rice, tofu and mushrooms in oyster sauce, shrimp in curried pineapple sauce, and fried oysters...mmm! He concocted a dessert of purred fruit, ice, blackberries, with a hint of maple syrup (served in wine glasses). I brought the party favours and a bottle of Gewurtztraminer from Germany. I prefer the sweeter wines and this one fit the bill perfectly.

Happy New Year!!

the ginger tabby said...

Ooops...just noticed a couple of spelling errors in the above entry...sorry.

Peter said...

Oooh, Brenda, the dinner sounds like it was very tasty. And, if you were having something spicy like curry, then the sweeter German wine would be a good match!

Peter said...

Jeph, first we'll work on getting you to Chicago, then we'll work on convincing Brett to eat at Yoshi's. Which won't be hard - he will eat a steak, right?

Maybe we need to be diabolical about this....

:-P

Allison said...

Awww....cute pic of you and Conrad! Happy New Year to you both.