Saturday, October 20, 2007

chocolate buffet at The Lobby

Two things I know about Conrad:

1. It can be difficult to surprise him. He's sharp.
2. It's even more difficult to find gifts for him. He doesn't want a lot of things, and if/when he does, he can afford to go buy them, so he does. Don't even get me started on the whole Coach wallet affair from a few Christmases ago!

It was our anniversary yesterday, and, of course, it's his birthday today. He knew something was afoot, but what that was, he didn't know. At all. I didn't hide from him that we had plans, but when I told him that we were having dinner at home last night before going downtown, well, he really had no clue at that point.

HA!

I got him onto the Red Line and downtown a little early, then dragged him window shopping both to kill time and to mislead him a bit more. And then, at 8:30, we made our way south on Michigan Avenue. Even as we bumped into Jim and Dan on the corner by the entrance to the Peninsula Hotel, he still didn't know what was going on. He probably had a few things worked out as we headed in to the hotel with them, but he didn't know everything. My gift to him: arranging for 6 of his oldest, closest friends (and a group we hadn't had all together in quite some time) to enjoy the chocolate buffet at The Lobby restaurant, my treat.

He was surprised, and delighted. I have mostly given up buying Conrad things. Giving him experiences is easier!

Paul and Allanand Bryan and Johnwere already seated when the four of us got to the restaurant. Jimand Dancompleted the group. And me, of course!

Half of us shared a bottle of a fine Australian Cab-Shiraz, Jim ordered a scotch, Paul went with port, and John and Bryan each tried a chocolate martini. Once drinks were ordered, we made our way to the round table covered with the amazing display and started helping ourselves.

Jeph will be a little disappointed that I didn't get a huge number of detailed photos of the spread. 20 different treats (we didn't count, that's the number the waitstaff told us), most of which were chocolate. A few were prettier than they were tasty, but heck, when you can go back for more, you just get the good ones again!




Conrad and I agreed (which is a little odd for matters related to chocolate) that this was the best: the chocolate and pistachio roulade.I think it was Paul who described it as being like really good Ho Hos. I think that's a compliment.

And just when we were beginning to consider a third (yes, third) trip up to the desserts, out came birthday cake for Conrad. And that, plus a glass of wine, capped his evening!

My one (constructive) criticism: it would have been perfect if they'd had some thing chocolate and peanut butter on that table. Yes, I know, bad of me to gripe about it. As if I was hard done by last night! We came home hopped up on sugar and quite content, indeed.,

6 comments:

Joe said...

Dang now that is some buffet! Happy Birthday to Conrad (on Sweetest Day no less) and Happy Anniversary to you both!

the ginger tabby said...

What a wonderful gift to give to Conrad! Priceless - cliche but true. I like the idea of giving 'experiences' rather than 'things'.

On that note, one of my dear sisters requested (as she has for some time) a gift of a donation to a charity of her choice. As a 26-year-old, that's pretty impressive, eh? :)

H-A-P-P-Y A-N-N-I-V-E-R-S-A-R-Y to both of you! Happy 51st Birthday to Conrad, too!

Cheers!

the ginger tabby said...

One more thing...those chocolate sweets look deeelicious!!

Peter said...

Thanks Joe! And thanks Brenda!

Allison said...

Sounds heavenly! Chocolate chocolate chocolate! What a great gift for Conrad, and I am glad you were able to keep it somewhat of a secret.

Peter said...

And yet, Jeph, I think it must have been an apricot or peach. I think. I didn't try them, I have to admit. On the other hand, I didn't hear any yelping from John about white chocolate-dipped tomatoes!

:-)