Friday, December 21, 2007

more (yes, more!) cookies

Why do I do it?

We're having a small, intimate pre-Christmas get-together tomorrow night for some 3-dozen of our closest friends, so no sooner was I home tonight than it was into some grubby clothes, tied the apron round my waist, and off and running in the kitchen. By the time I go to bed shortly after midnight I will have a roast boneless leg of lamb (in the fridge awaiting slicing tomorrow), a walnut gâteau breton, and a lemon and almond fregolata all done as well as a simple dinner of turkey meatloaves served with Brussels sprouts. Done the Peter way, as my Dad curiously calls it. I call it tossed with butter and mustard, but oh well.

Oh, and then there are these things.



Whyohwhyohwhy? They're so bloody time-consuming. Ugh. Blame the NBF for sending me a new recipe with some new decorating ideas. I admit to not having nearly enough patience or care to have really gone to town on them, but they did turn out a little more nicely than the previous effort.

I'll be knackered come tomorrow night. I have cookie dough I made earlier this week pulled out of the freezer and left to thaw in the fridge, and I'll make one or two batches of biscotti tomorrow and perhaps some ginger cookies. The stand-by recipes, I know, but for a big group, shortcuts are a must!

9 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

How do you find the time for all of this? I thnk you should write a book on time management.

Peter said...

Subtitled, "Sleep? Who needs it?"

I started at about 4:30ish and went through until 12:00ish, stopping only for a little while around 9 or so to have dinner. I haven't yet launched into today's kitchen duties. In a little while. A few more presents to wrap up.

the ginger tabby said...

In response to your comment on my blog...

Indeed it was not as bad as expected - the snow.

Peter, I received your package. Thanks! :) I hope you received yours. If not yet, you'll have a nice, little post-Christmas parcel to open...cheers!

the ginger tabby said...

One more thing...great-looking cookies!

On brussel sprounts - I'm not a huge fan but with butter and mustard, they sound quite appetizing!

Stunned Donor said...

4:30 AM? Oh hell the coating on the second layer of my Ambien CR is dissolving around that time! (I may not have slept great, but I don't remember it!)

Peter said...

Brenda, we opened your package today. Thanks!

:-)

Steven, Ambien CR? Wow, advanced pharmacology, at least by my paltry standards!

LOL

I hope you got sleep over the holidays!

Allison said...

Looks like the cookies you would pay a fortune for at the coffee shop! Very nice.

Peter said...

I'd have to do a much better job of icing them to sell them at a coffee shop! No, really. But thanks!

Allison said...

Surely you jest!