
You know how (well, maybe you don't, but pretend you do) every small town has its annual celebration? Its yearly Carrot Festival or annual Hunting Hoe-Down? My hometown, Terrace, has its own: Riverboat Days.
The Saturday of the August long weekend, a parade makes its way from the 4700 block of Park Avenue, along Eby to Lakelse, then up Lakelse to the Legion Hall. I have memories of watching it - and of being in it. When I worked at the Terrace Public Library, I walked in the parade at least once, as part of a "bookworm" entry that was modeled on the Chinese dragons that have many people walking underneath. This year, I returned to the parade, this time as part of the Class of '88 entry.

Let's give credit where it deserves to go: Mitch had arranged for the truck that the kids rode in. Allan
created the banners - as we waited for more people to show up, we pointed out where we all had signed them.
I hope that they last right through to future reunions.And then there's the two of the organizers who made it to the reunion. Three people pulled us together, in fact: Becca, Melaney, and Michelle. Michelle - the Olympic athlete among us - gave birth to her first child one week before the reunion. The timing and the trip over from Spain, where she lives, would have been too much too soon. Thank you to her for all she did - I credit her and Dion with being the ones who really got me interested in coming to the reunion.
Ah, but Becca and Melaney made things happen, and very well at that.
They were there awaiting us all at 10:30. Others trickled along (and credit to Anita who recruited classmates from among the spectators as we walked along) before the start. Claus, Joletta, and Allan shown here.
And then we were off. How cool to see familiar faces in the crowd. And be assured, there was a crowd. Not Gay Pride in Chicago crowd, but a very encouraging turn out in a town that's not doing well economically. Jennifer had her pom poms from when she was a cheerleader 20 years ago. Someone let Liza drive. Becca was dancing away to 80's tunes.






I had fun.
Conrad managed to get some pictures of the rest of the parade,








including a Don Diego's entry!
And hey, that's my former next door neighbour in the orange as part of the cluster of class of '78 grads.
And that? One of the 2010 Olympic mascots taking part in the parade and staying at our hotel. That there?
Sumi. I dunno - cute, but not my idea of a mascot for the Vancouver games.
2 comments:
I'm not fussy about the Chinese Olympic mascots either.
I hated the Vancouver 2010 mascots when I first saw them, but they've grown on me.
Post a Comment