Thursday, August 07, 2008

reunion thoughts: regular contacts

Not everyone at the reunion was such a long-lost contact. Were I still living in Terrace, I'm sure I'd see or hear from a number of my former classmates with some regularity. Just the same, though, in recent years at least, there have been a couple of classmates whom I've kept in touch with: Dion and Liza.

Sorry, they're not a couple. Dion is happily married, but he was flying solo at the reunion. Minna - his truly gorgeous and successful wife - could not join him. We missed her. Several people asked me and Conrad about her, and of course we could only say good things. We look forward to seeing her later this year, we hope.

But back to Dion. Here's someone Conrad and I think the world of. Dion is such great company, and I'm so proud of all the success he's had in his career and personal life. A great job with Kohler, a past in semi-pro rugby, a lovely home in a good Auckland neighbourhood, a great dog. All that, plus Minna. And as if that wasn't enough, he had a bottle of Central Otago Pinot Noir to share with us in his room before we came down to dinner on Saturday. I've known Dion since he moved to Terrace from New Zealand and was placed in my Grade 4 class. I can still recall our teacher, Mrs Hamilton, trying to break him of the habit of saying "nought" instead of "zero". How funny to think back on that.

In the last photo, he's had a very good time (wink, wink), but Conrad - I swear - was sober. Caught mid-laugh is all. In the second photo, Dion is with me and Steve, Liza's husband. Which brings us round to her quite nicely.

I've not known Liza quite so long as Dion, and she was still pronouncing her name "Lisa" when we first knew each other. I always thought she was sophisticated and worldly in our small town, and my impression didn't change when I met up with her in adult life over lunch in Toronto, back in about 2002. Or was it 2003? 2003, the summer of SARS, was when Conrad and I met up with her and Steve over dinner, and we hope to repeat that this fall when we're up there for a wedding. But Liza? Still beautiful, seems to be happy, both of which are delightful to me.

I do think it a bit funny that I have more photos of Steve than of Liza from the two evenings, though...

:-)





No comments: