Sunday, January 10, 2010

comforts of "home"

We're home early from dinner tonight. Conrad has a flight at about 7 tomorrow morning, so we'll be up and at 'em a little after 4. I used to not bat an eyelash over that, but weeks of holiday living have me less than enthused. It won't be until after Midwinter that I can get my life/exercise routine established for a period of time. Ah well.

Sunday, as any reader of this blog knows, means Yoshi's most of the time. Ahhhh. Sometimes I don't want to cook, and so it's a relief. Sometimes I don't mind cooking, but I want something other than what I make, and so it's a different relief. In any case, it's "home". Doubly so this evening as a favourite made its annual winter reappearance on the menu: cassoulet.

In fact, we weren't just at dinner to feed ourselves. It's been a rough holiday season for the Yoshi's family with our friend and dining companion Scott dying on Christmas and then another friend and dining companion, Donna, dying on NYE. I think we're all waiting for the third to come, a little anxious. Tonight about two-dozen of us gathered at Yoshi's to celebrate Donna. Alas, Conrad and I had to eat early and fast.

The food, as always, was good, of course, but there's a special comfort in old favourites on an occasion like this. Radicchio salad shared to start. The cassoulet for dinner. A Cotes du Rhone. I wish we could have stayed and chatted more, but we shared some photos of Donna and did get a chance to reminisce a little. And really, isn't that what home is about? Friends, food, family, memories. This blog is often about dinners at coat-check restaurants (to use a description that I joke about with one friend), but, in fact, it's a darn good way for me to realize what a terrific life I do have.

In short: thanks.

:-)

No comments: