Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sportello

Snow falling lightly out here at Logan Airport. I'm hopeful that won't mean that my flight will be delayed. As good a time as it's been in Boston (productive meetings, good meals, seeing people I love seeing but seldom get a chance to), I am ready to come home.

A short post about a meal before I board the plane. The last dinner in Boston was at an upscale yet minimalist Italian diner called Sportello. Todd suggested it, and I thought it a brilliant idea. A short walk from the hotel. A lauded chef. Sure!

The only bad thing for me, alas, was that after such a huge and rich dinner at L'Espalier, I wasn't all that hungry. A pity, the menu had much to offer. In the end, we both settled on the same simple dish of seared dayboat scallops with eggplant, cubanelle peppers, and Maine shrimp. I thought it was altogether delicious, and I noted that TK ate it up just fine, too.

The cookie plate (not pictured) didn't blow me away, but I will give props (does anyone say that anymore?) to the triangle of lavender shortbread. That one I thought was fine. Still, I was satisfied with just the one dish and a glass of white wine. A simpler meal to end the conference, and it pretty much (cookies aside) hit the spot.

No comments: