Monday, January 25, 2010

I (heart) my team

Ah Smelts. Tasty fish. Good teammates. I spent several hours with a bunch of them yesterday and made it through to the other end, deeply grateful to be one of them.

A swim meet in Evanston had me out of bed a little early after a very good dinner with a wee bit more wine than normally I have. Ah well. I had said I would coach the swimmers, and, in fact, I rather like doing so. It's a good way to pull together as a group but also to find time to talk with individuals and know them a little better. Also, to mentally compose the list of future dinner party guests.

I have to say a few things about the meet:

Some fast swimming there.
Some nasty turns by a lot of swimmers. "Janky" was how I described them to one friend.
Some definite eye candy - nice to see some good looking non-Smelts in Speedos. Oh, don't look at me that way.

The team won the meet (well, as I understand it, the large and powerful Evanston team considers it tacky to win their own meet), and well done to them all. I'm utterly proud of them. And no, it does not inspire me in the least to put on a suit and goggles, get up on the blocks, and make a complete ass of myself in front of everyone. I'm altogether skilled at doing that without having to race, thank you very much.

Post-meet, we headed for The Glenwood where the beer flowed and the pizza fed ravenous swimmers (and coach). I got home at around 5, having barely seen Conrad all day. Ah well, he knows the life of Smelts himself, of course.

Just a super job, though, team. I can't wait until Ruth sends out her massive missive to our team list - that will be fun, reliving the enjoyable Sunday with Smelts.

Meet photos:

Adam

Andrea

Billy and Liz

Brian

Lauren

Michael and Bjorn

Luis and Heidi

Mark and Dana

Liz, Adam, and Ruth

Bjorn and Brian

Luis

With Luis

With Ruth



The Glenwood photos:

Liz and Adam

Bjorn, Brian, and Dana

Scot

Michael, Dan, and Lauren

Patrick, Daniel, Bjorn, and Brett

Ruth and Greg (last two photos)

No comments: