I don't know what the Saturday high temperature was in Chicago. The actual number is immaterial to me. Hot. That's what it was. And yes, I do know it was far from the hottest it's been or even that I've known it to be. I am a polar creature, I think, and I prefer cooler temperatures.
And yet, I never object to the opportunity to dine out on the balcony. Friday night with Heather and Arek, Saturday night a mini-date night with Conrad. Bliss!
In this weather, I avoid turning on the oven (though I will likely get cookies for the conference roomies, TK and Martin, baked before I head to DC midweek). That being the case, Saturday dinner was a near repeat of Friday. Things that require scant cooking on the stove. No oven, please!
Salad-y things were the order of the day, and we're both fine with that. Some mixed nuts, a small dish of olives. A well-chilled Chardonnay. I set out a salad of mixed baby greens and some herbs with tomatoes, dressed with white truffle oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
An ideal dinner - light fare with minimal fuss. Loading the dishwasher probably took longer than the salad, for example. And, happily, it keeps the apartment cool for the much-welcome night of EC.
Simple, easy food for an er-lee summer evening. Conrad and I just munched and sipped and chatted and were grateful for these simple pleasures.
No comments:
Post a Comment