Tuesday, June 01, 2010

old stand-bys

One of my many dirty little secrets is that I have not really had any new recipes for years. Instead, I keep foisting recipes from my restaurant days on people and rely on them never having been all the way to Terrace ever to keep the recipes "fresh" and "new".

It worked again this past weekend.

Chris and Sherri came over. There's a nice core group of Vancouver friends we enjoy seeing each time, and those two - not a couple! - are firmly within that group. Always good to see them even if it is just for one evening.

Plus, I like to be able to get better acquainted with my Vancouver kitchen three years after purchase of the condo. What did I learn this time? SLOW oven. Merde!

Anyway, they came over around 7ish. Sherri brought cheese and other snacks and wine, though it was Marie's sparkling wine and lavender cocktails that we started out with. In all, we had a healthy (ahem!) amount of wine that night, but plenty of food to go with.

Half Cornish game hens with a pea and bacon puree plus some veggies and a drizzle of truffle oil.





The standby - dessert: rhubarb anise crisp.
I winged it without the original Coyote Cafe recipe, and it was fine. Marie had barely enough sugar, though, and I ended up folding brown sugar into unsweetened whipped cream. Worked like a charm!





A very nice night with our friends, but really, I can't help but chuckle to myself that some of the food I make I've been making for years. The benefits of Don Diego's live on and on and on...

No comments: