I should be in bed already - a late night last night after a big big dinner (with wine pairings and more to drink) and an early morning today to go to the gym. I will be glad of sleeping in this coming Sunday, I think.
Enough griping, though - on to the food discussion.
I love Frontera Grill (and Topolobampo and even the new place at O'Hare, but I've yet to get to Xoco). Love it. Conrad is with me on this, and you can be sure that at the wedding reception one of the tables will named for Frontera. And Yoshi's, of course. But definitely a Frontera. For several years now - the entire time they've staged it? - we've attended the Frontera Farmer Foundation dinner. The 2011 edition was last night.
A Dinner Like No Other is how they bill it, and this year it was a clever homage to Chicago neighbourhoods. Great idea! A Frontera spin on some of the foods found around town. The menu promised much... and delivered.
Conrad and I arrived in time to line up outside for the opening, and as we made the end of the queue, Jill, the sommelier, came outside. She was exhausted from a long day and much hard work on the event, and we were sorry not to enjoy her company that night. We'll make up for that, as I'll explain in a bit. Susan and Andrew were right behind us - they're part of a group of Saturday lunch regulars who have taken us under wing and with whom we've enjoyed this dinner (and others) several times now. A fine group, and who better to dine with?
The food. A confession: I ate meat. I'd really been trying not to. I found through the cleanse that I really feel better confining myself to fish and occasional poultry. I'm trying to eat a little healthier. Last night, though, was a set menu with wine pairings. No beef, happily - that's the worst on my system. Instead, I just ate it all, made no fuss, and felt off this morning. Ah well.
We were greeted with a strawberry-rhubarb margarita, an excellent cocktail, a great start.
The amuse was an homage to Greektown: mini lamb "gyros".
First course: Thai fried chicken, in honour of Argyle Street.
Next: homemade bratwurst as a spin on the Lincoln Square fare.
The fish course was the best. I honestly think Frontera does fish better than anywhere in town. Garlic marinated Alaskan halibut with canneloni.
The meat course was roasted suckling pig on a beautiful mound of Iroquois white corn grits.
Dessert was a lemony chess pie with strawberry preserves and a remarkable ice cream: hoja santa-vanilla bean.
And then we enjoyed some decaf.
We did not leave hungry, that's for sure. We left with a goodie bag, though, and better still, two silent auction prizes. As a table, we successfully bid on a wine pairing class with Jill. Hooray! I can't wait for that one. And as for the other, well, a present for Conrad from me. Of course it's not a surprise. Of course I'll enjoy it with him. A 1.5 L bottle of a Central Otago Pinot Noir.
We were giddy boys in the cab ride home, I have to say. June 2012 - what will that dinner like no other bring us?
(all of the photos from last night are on Flickr)
1 comment:
Looks sooooo appetising! Now I will have to perform an early lunch. Thank you for sharing with us! :)
___
International calls
Post a Comment