The multi-year gap in this blog left out a lot, I know. One of the biggies was the move west.
Nothing bad precipitated the move west, happily. Conrad's company transferred him. I found my position shortly after we agreed to the transfer. It's been ten years now.
I have been back to Chicago a lot. I'm on my second term on the executive board of my professional association, which is based in Chicago. I have had some conferences there. We have gone to visit friends and hold a few major celebrations. We pass through on our way to and from Conrad's family. Lots of opportunities to be in the city, I am very happy to say.
I miss Chicago. I love Chicago. I will not live there again. It doesn't make sense to go back professionally, so far as I can tell. And while it could mean buying a condo there that is pretty darn good and at a gentler price than what we have in Pasadena (and Vancouver!), it wouldn't be the same Chicago (socially speaking, at least) that we left. Van is not interested in living there either, so there is that important consideration.
So I visit when I can. I remember things fondly. I feel confusion over what has changed since we left.
And I appreciate the beauty of the place. Like Friday morning when I got myself out the door
and heading to the lake shortly after sunrise,
a nice walk before a long day of meetings on what proved to be a gorgeous day for spring weather. And again yesterday morning, a little later than sunrise, but quieter on a Sunday and in weather that was turning toward cool and damp.
I have trips to Chicago in May, June, October, and November still to come. And I will welcome them all.










No comments:
Post a Comment