It's been a few nights of dining out in a row, and I will enjoy getting in the kitchen tonight. But let me check in on three recent meals.
Thursday evening we reunited with Natasha. Conrad was a little late coming in from LAX, but he made it just after we had ordered, and so he was able to complete our foursome nicely. Van doesn't eat sushi (I know, I know, but we still love him), but he does enjoy a bento box, so he contented himself with that. Conrad, Natasha, and I shared sashimi and rolls and nigiri, relishing what we ate and not remembering to photograph it. Sometimes we just want to eat and catch up. But I did get one photo of a plate at Mama M that evening: the Ocean Wrap.
As always, it was a pleasure to enjoy our dinner from our friends there.
The next evening, Conrad, Van, and I were parked at the bar at Maestro shortly after opening. It felt a little like old times before too long - the bar was packed with early diners, and people were talking across at each other quite cheerily. We ordered cocktails and guacamole with plantain chips,
and then got some birria tacos,
the tamal poblano,
and the arrachera (not pictured) to share for our dinner. And then on home for me to bore the two poor guys to tears with my Micronesia photos.
Conrad left for San Francisco yesterday late in the afternoon, and Van and I got on the road with Olive to Rancho Mirage. After getting to the house and settling in, he and I changed and headed to The Penney and Parlour for dinner at the bar. The place was busy, and the bartenders were hopping, and so the service had some lags. Worse, there were two men sitting to Van's right who had very loud, clear voices. We were treated to far too much of their progressively drunker conversation throughout our evening. Worse than that, they were clearly regulars, and the staff, especially the bar manager, indulged them greatly. On the plus side, the bartender, Eric, taking care of us did the best he could considering how busy he was. We liked and appreciated him, and when things slowed down, we got to ask him some questions about things at the bar that looked interesting. I also liked the food - Van's wedge salad made with grilled escarole was my favourite thing of the night. My pork belly
wasn't my first choice - they sold out of the ragu before my order could be placed - but it was fine, and I like the charred dandelion greens. I would go back, but wow, would I hope that those two men were not there. And I will watch myself at Maestro and Mama M to make sure that I am never an obnoxious customer like that myself!





No comments:
Post a Comment