Monday, April 10, 2023

shrimp heads

Years ago in Victoria, the night before I ran my tenth-anniversary marathon, I had sushi.  I have always liked sushi as a pre-race dinner - it's usually low fat, high carb and protein.  It works for me.  That evening, I recall having amaebi for the first time.

Often when sushi places in North America serve shrimp, it's cooked.  Amaebi is sweet shrimp served raw.  I fell in love with it, but didn't see it for so many years later.  Happily for me, our favourite local sushi place, Mama M, serves it.  Even better, they serve it with the shrimp heads fried.  Crisp and tasty.  Conrad has come to prefer the heads to the shrimp themselves, but I like them both.


It's funny to me how squeamish people get with eating parts like that.  Oh no, they gasp, the eyes?  Not the eyes!  Yes, I eat the head, eyes and all.  It's all crispy, people, come on!  Yum!

Sunday night, back home from the desert, some television to catch up on, Conrad under the weather - I didn't cook in, we just ordered takeaway.  And it was good.  Shrimp heads, but other treats on the plate assuredly.  Om nom nom nom nom nom.



No comments: