Monday, June 10, 2024

Montana escape, day 3

Our third day was an easy day in Montana.  How easy?  We didn't leave the hotel grounds once and barely went outside otherwise.

Oh, I did get out early in the morning.  I was awake far before Van, so I went down to get a decaf latte and muffin, and from there wandered around outside, taking photos of the hotel building and other facilities.  Friends, the Montage is a stunning property.  Just look at that outside. 







And the great room,

and the bar. 

And that cool old style tour bus. 

All of it was beautiful.  Would I go back.  Oh heck yes, would I.

Van did get going, and we enjoyed coffee together and writing postcards from the day before.  Lunch time rolled around, and we headed over to Backcast, behind the hotel, and sat at the bar.  I enjoyed a Rice Blossom cocktail,


and we shared salad, cold soba, and gyoza. 

A light meal before our afternoon spa session.

Sorry, no photos from the spa.  No one needs to see me in there!  But what a great amenity.  For one thing, the robes provided actually fit larger men like us.  WOW!  That never seems to happen.  For another, the changing room had its own hot tub and steam room.  Look, I'm not a prude, and I can happily use facilities that are mixed gender, but it's nice that we could just hang up the robes and soak and steam without a care.  And really, it was without a care - we saw one woman at the shared pool when we were given the tour, and that was the only time we saw anyone else other than spa staff.  A quiet period at the hotel in between seasons, it seems.

Van and I spent a few hours enjoying massage and soaking, and then finally had to bring the spa time to an end.  We had dinner reservations in the hotel's finer dining room, Cortina, and we needed to get ready.

Cortina?  Exceptional.  The menu reads Italian, and so I thought it would be fine, but the progression was delightful.

We each had a cocktail to start and then shared most of a bottle of an Oregon pinot noir recommended by the charming sommelier.  As for the food, well, we shared the first few things:

Burrata with tomatoes and arugula. 


Simple, fine, a compromise between me and Van on a starter.

Pappardelle with bolognese. 


Outstanding.  So tasty.

Venison. 


Simply venison and a reduction sauce.  Van had the trout (steelhead), and we shared some grilled broccolini.  But that venison?  Oh my word.  Tender like nothing I'd had before.  We each ate very slowly and were almost laughing at how ridiculously good it all was.

Oh, we had bread as well!


And then came a dessert to share.  We weren't too hungry, but it was hard to resist ordering one, so I opted for the pistachio boudino. 


Just look at this work of art that came out.

An indulgent night, and I have to admit, it was rough sleep and a very easy morning to follow.  But oh, so worth it.  When life hands you a hotel like that, it's always good to savour the staying in rather than the venturing out.

No comments: