Good morning! It is morning here, and my last one in Dublin. I have had breakfast, I have a decaf latte,
I am packed and ready for our travel to Belfast. We will stop en route for a soda bread demonstration (yes, there are touristy things mixed into this tour) and then a visit to a library when we get to Belfast.
The phone interface for Blogger is not nearly so friendly for writing and adding photos as when I am on my laptop. I did not bring my laptop, however. When I am back in Pasadena next week, I shall write more in-depth entries on this trip. For now, these will continue to be short glimpses and side jaunts into things a littler frothier in nature.
At dinner a couple of nights ago with my former prof, Leigh, who now works at UCD, I got from her a number of culinary recommendations. Most of our meals on this trip are already booked as group meals, but there are occasional opportunities to go off-script. After our afternoon sessions yesterday, I did a bunch of packing then asked if anyone wanted to go for a drink. Anne
and Jean
both did. I took them a block or two down the street from the hotel to Pen & Player.
Great recommendation! First off, the place is beautiful. Just stunning.
Second, great drinks! I had the Moonlighter,
and I’m still not clear on what was in it. A brown spirit? Matcha made it green. It looks like it should be some sweet and sour lime sugar bomb, but it had a subtler flavour that sat at odds - not a bad thing - with the over the top look. Tasty!
The staff were very friendly, and as it was early and quiet for them, the two bartenders chatted with us a lot about their experiences as immigrants to Ireland. Really interesting to hear their perspective on the country.
A brief afternoon break for us. We were soon off for a group dinner after those drinks. And now I have to get my bags downstairs and onto our bus to head north…






No comments:
Post a Comment