Sunday, December 22, 2024

a wee holiday party


Our busy holiday season of enjoyable social activities continues.  Last night Van hosted a wee party for five of us.  Oh, and Olive.  She certainly was in the mix throughout.

Before we knew Van, he had been married to a man named Doug.  Sadly, Doug died in 2018.  All that Conrad and I know of him are Van's and others' memories and photos.  And now Heath.  Heath is Doug's cousin, perhaps a second cousin.  Van has told us the exact family connection before, but the age difference between Heath and Doug (Doug would have been in his early seventies now, I believe) throws me off.  We met Heath at Thanksgiving when Van invited him to come for dinner, and last night we got the chance to meet Nicole as well.

First off, they are a delightful couple, very good company.  I know them only a little and what strikes me is that they each seem like people who appreciate things - experiences, food and drink, travel, learning, a lot more.  I find that such a terrific quality in people.  Second, they are a connection to Doug, and that's a lovely thing.  I always like when Van shares about Doug and their life together, and I never want him to lose his connection to his late husband.

So we had them over at Van's.  Olive was in her element. 


Not only did she have Conrad at her beck and call,

but she had two more dog lovers to demand attention (and treats) from.  Lucky, happy girl.  Van had purchased light bites and the makings of a particular cocktail, and Conrad and I set to work setting things up. 

I made us all the drinks throughout the night.  There were gifts exchanged,

and Heath and Nicole left with the makings of Last Words at home.

All in all, a very nice night.  Two nights after a fine evening at Mitch and Ted's, we had another opportunity for an intimate gathering.  Conrad and I powered through the dishes and clean up, and this morning, we all got up to find a tidy kitchen and no stress over that!


No comments: