Wednesday, July 09, 2025

home cooking again

After so many days away, it can genuinely feel like I've not been in my kitchen cooking a thing for years on years.  I'm such a drama queen, I know.

Monday, after work, I came home and got my apron on.  Chicken pieces went into a bag with some herbs and garlic and red wine.  After a suitable period, I took them out, dusted them with flour, browned them, and put them into a casserole.  The red wine and herbs became the basis for a sauce that included tomatoes, olives, more garlic, and anchovies.  Into the oven with it all, covered, and an hour and a half later we had some chicken cacciatore!  While that was oven-braising, I made some polenta.  That turned out nicely.  A little broccoli on the side for a bit of green, and that was Monday dinner.  And tonight's leftovers!


Yesterday I was over at Van's.  I had left Conrad with a re-heatable meal of pork tenderloin, roasted carrots, and cabbage wedges roasted with prosciutto, so he was taken care of.  Van and I had a television night planned - the season debut of Bachelor in Paradise.  Yes, I watch that.  Anyway, I stopped at the store en route to Van's and grabbed us a couple of little filets.  I cooked them up in a skillet and topped them each with some lightly charred tomato, red onion, and mint relish.  All of this I set atop a mound of mashed potatoes and some wilted Tuscan kale.  Not a bad little midweek meal!


No comments: