The great thing about travel is that you get to see new places and enjoy new experiences. The downside is missing the comfortable and familiar. I know some would argue that that latter point is also an upside, and sure. But honestly? I do miss my own bed, my own kitchen, and the local restaurants we love.
Last night was a welcome return to Maestro. A few weeks at least, I think, since last we were there. We always enjoy chatting with the owners and the people who work there, and we always get treated as if we very much belong. It's such a nice feeling. So it was this evening, sitting outside on a surprisingly cool Friday evening. Nestor, our server, wasn't busy at first and spent a bunch of time showing us photos from a recent trip he took to Austin for a friend's bachelorette party. Fun to see, but also reinforcing how nice it is to be there with people we like and who like us.
And then there is the food and drink. Good as ever. Guacamole and plantain chips to start,
and cocktails hot on the heels of that first bite. A Last Word for Conrad, a Mezcal Campfire for me.
We shared the tetela as an appetizer (second appetizer?),
then shared the lamb shank for dinner.
We knew that would be a substantial serving, and it very much was, so much so that we have a decent amount of lamb and some rice in a takeaway container in the fridge, awaiting a lunch today or tomorrow. Oh, and a bottle of wine. I knew that I would want a glass, and I figured Conrad would as well, so we asked Rigo for his recommendation, and he was enthusiastic about a tempranillo blend from Mexico.
Lovely, smooth wine. A nice option.
We had a great, leisurely dinner outside. More people sat outside at other tables, and there was a nice energy to the place. Finally, we came home, bringing half the bottle with us to sip the rest of the evening whilst lounging in comfy clothes in chairs at the back of the dining room. A welcome return to Maestro and a fine Friday evening.





No comments:
Post a Comment