Sunday, June 07, 2026

Piña Verde

In the past couple of years or so I've taken to Reddit.  There's a confession!  I seldom post, I occasionally comment, I usually lurk and read.  One of the fun subreddits that I've appreciated is devoted to cocktails. Redditors post photos and recipes.  I've flagged a few here and there, wanting to come back and make them.  It's good to try new things.

Was it yesterday or the day before, I can't remember:  I saw a post about a drink called the Piña Verde.  Unusually, the base (and only) spirit was green chartreuse.  We're huge fans of chartreuse here, and so we decided to give it a try.  Chartreuse, pineapple juice, lime juice, cream of coconut.  An easy recipe served in an old-fashioned class heaped with pebble ice.  Looks pretty, right?


Our verdict:  good, a little sweet.  It may need a little more lime for a balance that we like.  Van, however, spotted a comment on the Reddit post I shared with him and Conrad, someone commenting that they added an ounce of rum to the drink.  So, when I made us a second round to have with our takeaway sushi, I tried that variation.  It made for a boozier drink, of course (and two of them were quite enough!), but a better one - the rum diluted the sweetness but didn't compete too much with the green chartreuse.  Success!

We'll make this one again, I think.  Not a lot of them - green chartreuse isn't easily found, and I get wary of running out of it.  But still, a fine drink on a Saturday evening. 

No comments: