
The mean coach segued into the happy homemaker tonight.
Pre-appendix issues, we'd enjoyed occasionally having teammates or other friends over for casual little dinners around the peninsula in the kichen; warmer weather means moving those dinners outside now that we've sufficiently restored our daily lives to normal. Tonight's victi-- guests were lane 1 Daniel (pink shirt)and lane 2 Christopher (dark t-shirt). Both men, I should add in the spirit of pimping out my friends, are single. Take the hint, people!


But this is not a blog about them, not tonight. This is about what I whipped up after I got home from work, before coaching swim practice and right after I got back from the pool. I shan't bore you with details of how I cooked things. Cookbooks were involved, I stayed on top of my clean up. That's how it all got done. Nope, this is just to show (or perhaps to show off) what I did with my evening. Happily, things turned out well:
The meal's centerpiece, halibut marinated in chermoula and baked.
A simple salad garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds and a garlic and sherry vinegar vinaigrette.
A chickpea and wild rice salad stood in for the starch portion of the meal.We sat outside and dined, gossiping about our teammates, enjoying another cool late summer evening. Conrad and Daniel sipped a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc that stood up to the various vinegary and lemony tones in the food. Christopher and I stuck to sparkling water. We had a speaker outside to listen to music. The evening grew into night.


Dessert came out.
I rock. Just a little. Come on, give it to me. Okay, now you can gently mock me for the immensely gay pose. Still, it was a lovely cake, a plum upside-down cake scented with cardamom. I had a second extra sliver - that's my extra treat for a few days, I guess, but sooooo worth it! What is funny to me is that the halibut and the cake are both recipes that we used to do at the restaurant back home. The old stand-by recipes do work! And let it never be said that the 6 or so years spent in a kitchen after getting my BA were years wasted!
6 comments:
Bravo! What a great dinner and the conversation was, well... I hope what was said there stays there! LOL. THANKS! Christopher
first of all, i'm not even vaguely familiar with most of the ingredients that you spouted of about in the blog. What i do know is that it looks absolutely delicious.
now, when am i going to get invited to one of these fabulous soirees? no peer pressure here (invite me, invite me now!).
also, major kudos on the dessert. i'm salivating just looking at the pictures.
I don't know how you do it. I haven't done a lick of work in about two years other than around the house/yard and you manage to go to work, swim practice and still throw together a meal for four people and I'm lucky if I can manage a meal like that on Holidays. I know my time management skills suck, but stop rubbing it in my face.
Oh Steven, I've seen the photographic proof of all your hard work. You accomplish a very great deal, I would say!
You've never heard of halibut, Kaleb? Or plums? Or salad? It's like you're dominic or something!
Your invitation lies ahead - I do intend to have you over some time, have no worries.
As always, Peter, great food pics! I'm envious ;) I don't have the patience to cook. I have patience for people (I've got to in my profession) but not for cooking...or hair for that matter!
Post a Comment