
How's that for a title that will ensure this blog turns up in searches?
Jeph takes his NBF duties very seriously, and so it was that some "porn" turned up in the mail today, fresh from Amazon. I perhaps shouldn't jokes so incorrectly. Let me explain: one of my classmates in library school, Rich, made what I thought was an apt comparison between cookbooks and porn. He suggested that in each case, people read (or is that "read"?) them and admire the photos and fantasize about emulating all the things between the covers, but they never do. I think he made a good point, and I've delighted in using his comparison since.
Jeph sent me what looks like a very useful book that I'll delight in skimming while I eat breakfast. I will, however, attempt a variety of the sauces it offers. And I'll photograph them and post them here, you will no doubt know by now. Aside from the cookbook, he sent along a graphic novel, a classic storyline from my comic book days of the 80's. I can read and re-read these things many times, so that, too, was greatly appreciated.
Jeph, in other words, a public thank you!
An otherwise mild day. Conrad was busy with work when I got home at about six. I would have started on dinner, but the ground turkey meat wasn't thawed yet. Rather than use the microwave, we opted to go to Yoshi's. I first baked two more of the apple buttermilk tortes and got some basic sweet buttermilk pastry dough into the fridge. Yes, I have to use up more buttermilk. Scones are likely tomorrow, I think.

Dinner was a pleasant time sitting outside, enjoying the evening watching the Halsted Street foot traffic, enjoying our salmon and grilled chicken breast. The photo of me is a little fuzzy, sorry. I had hoped Yoshi would have something on the menu to mark the last hurrah of foie gras in Chicago. What an idiotic undertaking by the City Council, banning the sale or serving of foie gras in Chicago! Doubtless someone will flame me for that in the comments. I still think it's a slippery slope, and they may as well ban carbonated soft drinks from the city because of how they contribute to obesity. Protect the ducks or geese, but let our children get obese? Madness! Feh!


And on that note, time to search for some potential travel ideas and get to bed....
4 comments:
WTF is wrong with Chicago? If they wanted to legislate something harmful they could have tackled deep-dish pizza.
Here's how you deal with fois gras; if you don't like how it's produced DON"T EAT IT, but shut up and stop trying to make everyone fit your narrow view of how things should be.
Steven, I very much agree. I also had my date wrong: Monday was the last day for foie gras. A day late and a dime (or many dimes for foie gras) short....
But really, it's enough to drive people to the suburbs!
I imagine restaurants in Chicago will simply band to gether and sue. It should be interesting.
I think you would like foie gras. Lovely stuff. Not sure about the Chick-Fil-A comparison as I've never tried that -- um, what IS it? A brand? A chain? A dish?
Post a Comment