Friday, November 24, 2006

tree trimming


Not to put too fine a point on it, but sometimes I really do a nice job of things n the kitchen. Ah, and you thought this would be a post about tree trimming. It is. And it isn't. Isn't always about the food anyway?

:-)

Kim

and Francis

were over along with Kim's father, Dave,

and Francis' brother, Stephen.

John

and Bryan

made it in time to add ornaments to the tree, while Bradley came just in time for the start of dining. I should mention that we allowed our friends only some wine or beer until the all the ornaments were on the three or otherwise accounted for. Dinner would follow. They did a bang up job, though, I think.

And the food? Not too shabby for having made most of it since noon (people arrived starting at 4). I cooked the soup last night, of course. Split pea with smoked turkey.

Alongside was some soda bread I'd made. Next up was a tasty meat pie - a hot and sweet one fired with a whole jalapeno (seeds and all) chopped into it, and sweetened with candied sweet potato.

Alongside that I had a simple salad. The "palate cleanser followed": while I chilled the last of our Quail's Gate botrytis-affected Optima wine and whipped some cream, the guests were able to enjoy some of the jam tartlets I made yesterday. I then set down before them the pear upside down gingerbread cakes.

Kick. Ass. Better still, Conrad and I didn't eat any, so in case out good friend the Fat Nag gets at us, we can claim to have been on good behaviour! I also sent leftovers home with the others.

In any case, the soup, meat pie, and the cakes were all decent, I think. I'm not always happy with my cooking for all that others may like it, but tonight I was content.

Besides which, a lovely tree makes for a very good mood!

2 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

That meat pie and those tartlets look simply divine!

Peter said...

Thanks Brenda. As I said, I kicked some btt in the kitchen the other day!