And the price, of course, is a queasy feeling at the end of the night - too much sugar, and now feeling too fat to tolerate. Ugh.
Still, baking is fun.
Jeph egged me on some, and it's a good thing I did take some time to hunt down a couple of new recipes and an older one I haven't done in a while. Frankly, my baking tonight is horrid, I think. It looks a mess, though it tastes alright. Not a good effort, and proof that practice is necessary with all things. Also, I need a bigger kitchen that is better stocked!
I was hoping to use three things in particular tonight: candied ginger, dried apricots, and chocolate. One out of three. Ah well. Up first: Candied ginger and cardamom bars.

If anything, this recipe demonstrated to me that I need a few other pan sizes (I had to use a different one than the recipe called for) and a bigger food processor. Still, the dough did taste good. I think they'll be rather rich.Next came two lime loaves. My Mum used to make lemon loaves years ago. Sort of a simple pound cake/quick bread scented with zest, then the citrus fruit of choice would be juiced and the juice mixed with granulated sugar to make a glaze to poor over the loaves fresh from the oven. These did not rise to lovely mounded loaves, a function of the pan, perhaps. Or maybe I really was sucking badly tonight. I'll wrap them and pop them in the freezer, I think.


Finally, raspberry swirl cookies. A bit of fussing with, but they smell good right now, just out of the oven. Plus, the dough
tasted the best of all three!:-)
They have coconut and walnuts in them - I'm on a walnut thing these days (also, feta, radishes, and mint) - and they cook up to resemble little cinnamon rolls.


I like that they're not spiced, though. Conrad's office should enjoy them.I either need a salt lick now, or a nunch of water before bed. 3 miles again tomorrow morning!
3 comments:
Peter, those ginger, cardamon bars look delicious! I love ginger and cardamon...mmm! It's lunch time now and I'd just love one of those bars...
The raspberry swirl cookies look superlative and remind me of a similiar item my grandmother used to make. Called 'pin wheels' they were made with dates, and only produced in January. djs
Good point on the leavener, Jeph. I'll have to check the date on the tin.
Daniel, go check out the anise-fig cookies on Joe's blog. One day I'll make those - they look amazing!
Post a Comment