
Okay, that was a much-needed breather from blogging after a very busy long weekend in BC. Back at work, and as of this morning, back at swimming. Only 2000 yards, but my arms will make me aware of their displeasure tonight, I am sure. Ah well.
Another small set of photos to blog from the recent BC adventure: Thanksgiving dinner. No, Jeph, not AMERICAN Thanksgiving. But also not a big deal in some ways. Thanksgiving is a long weekend in Canada, and turkey is traditional, but it's hardly the big occasion that it is in the US. Of course, I never complain about the four-day weekend in November, believe me! Still, it wasn't an especially big celebration for us.
We made our way over to Vancouver under sunny skies, though by dinner time things had clouded over. Marie was draped on the couch, suffering a bad cold. Her dinner was Neo Citran, I think. Poor Marie.
No, what made it a nice occasion was that Dad and Bella were able to come down to Vancouver for a handful of hours. Bella was off work that day, so that took advantage of that to come see us, and we were happy to treat them to dinner. Dad had suggested ordering in pizza, but Marie was so miserable that we decided to cast around for a nice place to dine out and leave Marie alone. Hence, Griffins at the Hotel Vancouver.
I thought this might be a nice but simple meal in a the more casual restaurant at this grand old hotel. It's a handsome building in a great location across from the art gallery and within a stone throw of the countdown to the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Olympics (man, do I hope I can get some tickets - especially to curling!)

Well, surprise! Because of the holiday there was a special table d'hôte menu. An appetizer buffet, choice of two soups, and a lovely dessert bar. For the main course, we selected from among four menu options. Conrad and I opted for traditional: turkey.

Dad and Bella each had a nice-looking piece of salmon.
None of went home hungry, and I have to say that the buffet food was smartly planned so that none of it was dry or the wrong temperature. Oh, and the desserts were really quite tasty. A bottle of a Quail's Gate Chardonnay helped us along, and we had an altogether pleasant time of it before we had to drive them to the ferry at Horseshoe Bay.
4 comments:
We had turkey, too, with home-made chestnut/apple stuffing and cranberry sauce made from scratch...mmm.
What, no can-shaped blob of bright red gelatinized stuff? Actual sauce?
LOL
The funny thing is I never eat cranberry with my turkey. I just don't care for the combination, though I like cranberry with many other things.
Very nice meal was had by you and your family. My Thanksgiving dinner consisted of, I don't remember what....i think it might have been some spinach things (they look like those mozzarella cheese sticks!)
We used to do a cranberry sauce like that at the restaurant, but we would serve it with pork tenderloin. I like it fine in that case, but I just don't like it partnered with turkey. Ah well.
Post a Comment