Monday, December 10, 2007

annual cookie baking binge

You know, somehow I wasn't utterly sickened and repulsed by the sight of cookies today. Hmmm. Funny.

Taking the weekend in reverse, let's go with the cookie photos first. It's an annual thing for me, the weekend of the 100 100s (though we haven't yet done that work out this year) to meet up with Bradley and spend several hours baking. Bradley had to back out of it this year, but Conrad and I both have voracious colleagues. Cookies it was.

The darn thing was, after all the attempts at new recipes this fall, so far I've gone with good old standbys. Hmmm.

The biscotti:

Milk chocolate, almond, and orange

Citrus, anise, and almond

Dried apricot and pistachio with saffron

Triple ginger

The non-biscotti:

Ginger cookies, Mum's recipe. I don't know why it's not working for me well these days. Ah well. These ones were fine - nicely chewy.

White chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies. Reliable!

The empire cookies - the ones Jeph thinks look like breasts. Um, Jeph, aren't you supposed to be, um, kinda gay?


And then there were the cut out cookies, the decorated ones. In truth, I don't care to eat them. I find them plain and bland, and the decorating goes from fun to tedious before you know it. Ah well. Conrad likes them, and they can be pretty. Quite an undertaking, even with only a single batch of dough.









Some of the final product from the decorating. A few of them are kind of cute. Nowhere as good as Jeph's mind you. That boy has mad skillz.



The final tally. Ignore the hockey pucks in the Silver Jubilee tin. I tossed them out rather than allow them into any of the tins we put together for friends/colleagues.


5 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Wow, Peter, I'm absolutely impressed - as always when it comes to food! :)

Unknown said...

Unlike in the past this year I did remember to share some with the missus.

fxk

Anonymous said...

I haven't even started yet! I have my ingredients, but I'm procrastinating. I see a very expensive UPS bill on the horizon.

Peter said...

Thanks Brenda!

FXK, good on you for sharing with Kim!

Steven, get cracking! As for shipping, well, given the $90 I spent this morning on parcels to Canada, I feel your pain.

:-)

cg said...

I think the triple ginger biscotti have edged to the lead for me. I'll keep taste testing.