Sunday, December 16, 2007

chocolate dessert (crepes)


Conrad and I realized that with his work travel (and our holiday travel) and with the party and dinner plans that arise at this time of year, last night would be our only weekend night to stay in and be cozy together. We have a lovely tree up, but so little time to admire it. With that in mind, we set last night as a date-at-home night.

In retrospect, I should have photographed dinner. It was a good plate of food, a rare dinner where I like it and don't sit and think of what I should have done differently. We had back ribs with an orange and mustard glaze, Brussels sprouts tossed with coarse mustard and butter, and a squash purée. The portions were right, and the bottle of Wooing Tree Pinot Noir was a good pairing.

I was concerned about making it an easy evening, and just enjoying dinner. Conrad barely beat the winter weather to arrive home from Richmond, and I thought it best for us to sit down to hot food when I served it rather than trying to stage it for photos. Ah well.

When it came time for dessert, though, I asked him to take some shots.

It's a simple dessert, but it's very much geared toward Conrad's favourites: chocolate and raspberries. I made chocolate crepes, filled them with whipped cream (lightly sweetened and blended with a bit of cocoa powder) and fresh raspberries, and drizzled chocolate sauce over top.When Conrad came in the door, I was busy making the crepes, but he didn't cotton to what I was up to, so dessert was a delightful surprise for him in the end. Just the way it should be!

There's more chocolate sauce and whipped cream left over in the fridge. How bad of us would it be to make up some waffles, perhaps, and have a chocolatey breakfast? I think we'll behave!

6 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Very nice dessert, Peter. Those are two of my favourite foods, too :)

Allison said...

Look fantastic! How was the Pinot Noir? As good as other offerings from Central Otago?

Joe said...

I could really use a plate of those crepes after the crazy holiday baking we did! Thankfully, I have a year to recover until we end up doing it all over again (although, Jeff proclaims every year that we will do "less").

Peter said...

The crepes went down well, and Joe, if I could mail them, rest assured I would!

We loved the Pinot Noir, and we'll keep an eye out for it in the future. The Otagan (??) Pinots have been good to us Allison. 2009, we'll try them at the the wineries, we hope.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Dinner sounds delicious like I like them. Crêpes, we, the french, love crêpes. Yours are beautiful.

Peter said...

Thanks Helene! Much appreciated!